Nominees for the 2016 Helpmann Awards were announced yesterday, with Askonas Holt artists shortlisted in four categories, as well as involved with two of the productions shortlisted for Best Opera.
The Helpmann Awards – named in honour of Australian dancer, actor, theatre director and choreographer, Sir Robert Helpmann – “recognise distinguished artistic achievement and excellence in the many disciplines of Australia’s vibrant live performance sectors, including musical theatre, contemporary music, comedy, cabaret, opera, classical music, theatre, dance and physical theatre.”
Winners will be announced on Monday 25 July in a ceremony at the Sydney Lyric Theatre.
Nominations for AH artists can be seen below, with the full list available on the Helpmann Awards website.
Congratulations to all those nominated!
Best Symphony Orchestra Concert
- Melbourne Symphony Orchestra’s performance of Britten’s ‘War Requiem’ with Ian Bostridge
- Sir Simon Rattle conducting the Australian World Orchestra
Best Individual Classical Performance
- Florian Boesch and Malcolm Martineau, Melbourne Recital Centre and Sydney Opera House
Best Female in Opera
- Latonia Moore (Elisabetta in ‘Don Carlos’ for Opera Australia)
- Nicole Car (Luisa in ‘Luisa Miller’ for Opera Australia)
Best Male in Opera
- Andrei Bondarenko (Count Almaviva in ‘The Marriage of Figaro’ for Opera Australia)
- Opera Australia ‘The Marriage of Figaro’ (starring Nicole Car & Andrei Bondarenko)
- Opera Australia ‘Luisa Miller’ (starring Nicole Car)